Friday, December 28, 2012

Jaelyn's Hand Surgery

Jaelyn had hand surgery yesterday. :( For those who didn't know, she was born with an extra digit. Or in other words, an extra thumb. It was what the doctors call a "trickle effect" from her heart condition. They say that when you have something as serious as her heart condition, they will sometimes have this trickle effect of other things going wrong. She was also born with only one kidney and only until after she was born did we notice her extra thumb. 
In the delivery room, there were so many people (docs, nurses, etc) in anticipation for Jae's delivery, and so much anxiety and emotions that were running... I mean, I can't explain how overwhelming it was to give birth to this angel. It was SO important to me to be able to hold her right after delivering, but only if everything was looking good for her. I was blessed enough to hold her for a few short seconds before they swept her off to the nicu. While George went with her, I was left to recover (which I HATED) and texting was all I had to stay close to them. I was asking all about her, how she was doing, what they were doing. "TELL ME EVERTHING!" I texted. A few minutes passed and George texted me; "She has an extra finger digit. I call dibs!" ..... Now imagine the minion from Despicable Me saying. "Whaaat?" 

I thought he was joking. Literally, a straight up joke. I didn't find it funny. It was fine if it was true, but it didn't seem real, only because we had countless amounts of ultrasounds. I'd be surprised if we missed it. Sure enough I saw it for myself a couple hours later! It was just one more thing to add to her beautiful and very special body. Anyway, surgery went flawlessly. Finally one surgery that went her way!! She did amazing! I'm so freaking proud of her!!!

















1 comment:

Two Little Mittons said...

What a beautiful angel. She is so tough and awesome!